Sunday 10 March 2013

White choc pecan banana loaf

As I made this gorgeous loaf cake last night, I thought I'd blog about it now while I'm still enjoying the fresh results. I promise you right now that if you like bananas, cake, or pecans, this is going to be such a treat. Actually, I wouldn't even say that this cake is unhealthy enough to factor as a treat to keep at bay*; it's filling, fairly nutritious, and full of health benefits - such as the pecans' antioxidants and good fatty acids, and the bananas' potassium and vitamin C.

*Unless, like me, you find that you eat half of it in two days. Practice moderation.

Before I list the recipe, however, I will confess that I think it may be the combination of white choc chips with mashed banana and chopped pecan that makes this loaf cake so good*. Hey, a little sugar never hurt anyone. What's particularly lovely is that the choc chips, after baking in the cake for almost an hour, will have almost entirely melted, leaving tiny little sweet patches all through your loaf.


PS: Don't be alarmed that you are being instructed to use granulated sugar in what is technically a kind of cake - I guarantee you it works and tastes absolutely lovely.

*My basic recipe is adapted from the yummy banana cake recipe detailed on the Joy of Baking website - www.joyofbaking.com - do have a look if you'd prefer a less sweet banana cake. Or just cancel out the chocolate chips that I add prior to baking.

*White Choc Pecan Banana Loaf*
Makes 12-16 wedges and 4 spare little muffins

Loaf tin size: length 22cm, width 12cm, depth 6cm. Use a larger loaf tin if you don't have the energy to make muffins out of the remaining batter.

230g plain flour
120g granulated sugar
110g butter/marge - melted
2 eggs
2 giant bananas - or 3 smaller size - mashed
100g pecans - chopped
100g white chocolate chips
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1. Put a small pan on the hob over a low heat and add butter, leaving to melt. Remember to take off the heat once melted, allowing it to cool a little before its use. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180'. Chop the pecans, or simply tear apart with fingers over a bowl, as I did. Combine in a large mixing bowl with all remaining dry ingredients (except chocolate chips).

2. Mash the bananas well in another bowl, before adding vanilla, melted butter, and two eggs (add these to the bowl individually, whisking a little with your spoon as you mix into the other wet ingredients)

3. When fully combined, pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix until a thick, lumpy batter is made, before adding chocolate chips and quickly stirring in - don't overmix as it'll leave you with a tough, dry cake. The lumps really don't matter.


4. Finally, pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin - at this point, I had a little spare so filled four cupcake cases with extra batter - and place in the oven. Leave the cupcakes for 16mins - you'll notice that they have started to brown nicely at this point - but leave your loaf tin for 55mins overall. When the loaf comes out of the oven, it will be golden brown, crisp on top and an inserted skewer/fork prong will come out of the cake clean.


Although I've not tested this yet, I'd bet that this loaf lasts about three days with perfect consistency - on the third day, I'd freeze a few portions ready to take to work for your lunch. Happy days!

*

On a final note, I'm two days away from turning twenty! Being a teenager is almost over and it feels so strange. Wish me good luck for the 12th March please. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment